Monday, August 8, 2011

How does one strim?

Strim: v. (UK) To use a strimmer. Um... ok? What is a strimmer? Vernon and I had this conversation. It is one of many conversations that we have had regarding a word that one of us uses and the other's reaction is "I beg your pardon?" or in my case, "huh?" Vernon has been working on his front yard, ("front garden" for those of you who don't speak American). He mentioned how he wanted to get a push mower of some kind. I felt his front yard / front garden was a bit small for a push mower so I suggested a weed whacker. I then heard, "I beg your pardon?". I giggled because I knew I'd get that reaction. I didn't know what they called a weed trimmer in the UK but I like to keep him on his toes. He informed me that they are called strimmers. I didn't really understand how that word came to be. I actually thought I mis-heard him. I Googled it and it's simply a merging of the words string + trimmer = strimmer. Pretty logical.

One of my favorite blogs, ameringlish has a word of the week. I don't believe this was one of them but I always look forward to her weekly word because sometimes it is completely new to me, and other times I laugh and can remember the conversation that Vernon and I had regarding that word as we learn each other's language through the years.

2 comments:

  1. Loved the read, most intersting and I also loved the music.

    Enjoy the day.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a better term for it! I think I'll try and use it from here on out!

    ReplyDelete

Vernon and I are in a long distance marriage which started out as a long distance relationship for 14 years. I would love for you to leave a comment on my blog post.